Every advocacy organization has a day when their members advocate at the Virginia General Assembly for issues that are important to their membership. Many of the League’s issues were on the ballot nationally and now statewide in Virginia. Frederick Douglas said,
Power concedes nothing without a demand
We must demand that our voices on these issues are heard. Plan to attend our RoundTables and League Day to be heard:
- REGISTER HERE for the Women’s Legislative RoundTables (WLRT) held each Wednesday (8:30 AM to 9:30 AM) from January 11 through February 8.
- Sessions are both in-person and on ZOOM (virtual) attendance. Come to any or all of the sessions
- Some advocacy resources from LWV-VA HERE.
- League Day is on January 25. Come to the Capitol. REGISTER HERE.
- Car-Pooling to Richmond: Members interested in carpooling to one or more of the WLRTs or League Day, please call/ text Pat Evers at (414) 559-5990 or email Pat.
REGISTER HERE FOR ROUNDTABLES
Reflecting the LWV of Virginia 2023 Legislative Priorities for the Virginia General Assembly, the RoundTables and League Day will focus on as follows:
- Remove witness requirement for absentee ballot envelopes.
Background article from ACLU.
"LWV-VA would like to see this bill amended to ensure that our elections are fully funded and that third party voter registration, such as LWV voter registrations, are not inhibited. The witness signature requirement unnecessarily puts voters’ health at risk. The voter requested the absentee ballot from the Department of Elections, was mailed the ballot by their local registrar, the voter marks the ballot and returns the ballot in the enclosed envelop to the registrar. The intervention of a witness is unnecessary and besides being a barrier to voting, poses a health risk the voter was trying to avoid by requesting the absentee ballot in the first place” Deb Wake, President LWV-VA
- Funding of elections: including amending or repealing Zucker Buck bill passed in the 2022 session.
LWV-VA would like to see this bill amended to ensure that our elections are fully funded and that third party voter registration, such as LWV voter registrations, are not inhibited.
- Push for campaign finance reform
- Support Ranked Choice Voting
January 25 LEAGUE DAY
- REGISTER HERE.
- This is our first in-person League Day in two years!
- The day begins at 8:30 AM with a buffet breakfast at the Truist Center Auditorium, 919 East Main Street, Richmond, VA.
- Focus topics: Support right to vote amendment and Protecting reproductive rights
- Support funding of public education and not diverting funds to private education
- Protecting Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative
- Support Right to Marry amendment
- Gun Violence Prevention: regulation of ghost guns, laws requiring safe storage of guns, and gun violence prevention programs